The health benefits depend on the type of yerba, but overall, scientific research* has proven that I. paraguariensis:
- Helps stimulate mental activity, reducing tiredness. This is due to the presence of caffeine – mate contains approx. 85 mg per cup, which is a higher proportion of caffeine than tea, and lower than the coffee.
- It is rich in antioxidants. In fact, mate is higher in antioxidants than green tea and a 2018 study even showed that its antioxidant properties were present even in used yerba.
- It can help you strengthen your immune system, as it has antimicrobial properties.
- It helps reduce weight and fat. This is due to its diuretic properties and because it increases energy expenditure during exercise.
- It is beneficial for people with diabetes, as it helps lower blood sugar levels.
It is important to note that due to its content of caffeine if drunk in high doses it could induce insomnia, tachycardia, gastritis, and nausea. If you suffer from anxiety, insomnia, tachycardia, hypertension, gastritis or gastroduodenal ulcers check with your doctor first.
About the Author
Enter description text here.